Making The American Dream Attainable

Applying for a K-1 visa

On Behalf of | Jan 22, 2024 | Immigration |

If you are a U.S. citizen and are engaged, it can be exciting to start planning your wedding. If your fiancé does not live in the United States and you would like them to travel here to get married, you will need to apply for a K-1 visa, also known as a fiancé visa.


You will need to file a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) and provide evidence of your relationship. You must have met with your fiancé in person within two years before filing the petition. Once USCIS reviews your petition and approves it, it will forward the petition to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your foreign fiancé’s country.

The USCIS will then send instructions to your fiancé about how to apply for the K-1 visa, including requirements for a medical examination, visa interview and background check. If the USCIS approves the visa, your fiancé can travel to the United States, and you must marry within 90 days. After you are married, your new spouse can apply to be a permanent U.S. resident. This will also allow them to work in the United States.

Denial reasons

Your petition may be denied if you or your fiancé have a criminal history, including a fraud conviction, did not include the required documentation to support your relationship, if you or your fiancé pose a security risk, or if you have previous visa violations. You may choose to reapply for the K-1 visa. If you do, you may want to seek professional assistance to review your case and offer guidance on what information to submit.