Making The American Dream Attainable

VAWA Green Card Relief

Individuals in abusive relationships with a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident can face barriers to the green card application process. Fortunately, there is relief under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), called a VAWA petition. This petition is a way to apply for your green card without the abuser’s assistance or knowledge that you are filing for visa benefits. Cynthia I. Waisman, P.A. in Tampa and Clearwater helps clients throughout the Tampa Bay Metro with green card options including VAWA petitions.

End The Abuse

Both men and women can apply for a VAWA petition. First and foremost, it is important to prevent further abuse from occurring. There are many resources available to assist victims of violence. Threats of deportation should not require someone to stay in an abusive relationship. It is critical to find a safe place which may involve a shelter to seek safety from the abuser.

Eligibility For VAWA

Both men and women can apply for a VAWA petition. You can file a VAWA petition if you are:

A Current Or Former Spouse

You may file for yourself if you are, or were, the abused spouse of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Your petition may also include your unmarried children who are under the age of 21. You must be able to demonstrate:

  • That you entered into the marriage in good faith, not for immigration benefits
  • That you lived with your spouse
  • That you are a person of good moral character

A Parent Of An Abused Child

You may file for yourself if you are the parent of a child who has been abused by your U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse. You may also file if your permanent resident or citizen child abused you. You may also include your other children on your petition, including unabused minors.

A Child Of An Abuser

You may file for yourself if you are an abused child under 21, unmarried and the abuse was by your U.S. citizen or permanent resident parent. You may also include your children on your petition. You can also petition if you are over the age 21 but under the age of 25 and can demonstrate that the main reason for the delay in filing was the abuse. To file a petition under VAWA as a child, you must prove:

  • That you have resided with the abusive parent
  • Have evidence to prove your relationship to your parent
  • Have proof of good moral character if you are over the age of 14

Proof Of Abuse

You do not have to have a police report of the abuse for evidence. Other sources of proof are:

  • Sworn statements
  • Photographs of injuries
  • Psychological reports
  • Documents that prove the relationship with the abuser

Do Not Let Fear Stop You – Call Us Today

Do not let fear of the police stop you from escaping abuse. This petition could save your life and the life of your loved ones. Our firm can inform you of your qualification status for this petition. Call Cynthia I. Waisman, P.A. at 727-219-9009 to talk about your situation or contact us online.