Making The American Dream Attainable

What documents do I need to adjust my status?

On Behalf of | May 3, 2024 | Immigration |

Adjusting your status to obtain your green card involves many steps. Before you begin the process, you should know what documents you need.

Having the correct documents can prevent delays in the processing and avoid a denial of your green card.

You apply to adjust your status through petition I-485. The exact documents you need depend on the basis of your application. For example, your adjustment of status package could be for family-based, employment-based or asylum-based adjustment.

Required forms to adjust status

In addition to the petition, some typical required forms for a family-based adjustment include:

  • Affidavit of support
  • Petition for alien relative
  • Report of medical examination and vaccination record

A petition for alien relative should be filed with the adjustment petition. An affidavit of support is used to show that your family member has proper means of financial support and will not likely need to rely on the U.S. government for this support.

A report of medical examination and vaccination record is required to establish that the adjustment applicant is not inadmissible for entry to the U.S. based on grounds of public health.

If your petition is for a spouse, you will need to submit a form titled supplemental information for spouse beneficiary.

Additional forms that may be required

You might also be asked to submit an application for employment authorization if you want to work in the U.S. or an application for travel document if you want to travel abroad and come back to the U.S.

Some general documents that you will need no matter the type of adjustment you seek include your birth certificate and a copy of your passport.

Since the specific documents you need depend on the type of adjustment you apply for and the answers you provided in your application, it is best to thoroughly prepare and gather the documents before applying.

If you have questions when completing your application, ask for help and guidance. Getting it right the first time will save you time and money and move you forward on your path to becoming a lawful permanent resident.