Making The American Dream Attainable

What can I do if I lose my Green Card?

On Behalf of | Feb 2, 2023 | Employment Authorization Cards, Immigration |

As any lawful permanent resident knows, a Green Card is an incredibly important document.

Also known as an LPR card, the Green Card serves as official evidence of a person’s lawful permanent resident status in the United States. Federal law requires lawful permanent residents to carry their Green Card with them.

So what can you do if you lose your Green Card?

Requesting a new card

If you lose your Green Card, it is important to request a new card as soon as possible. To obtain a new card, you must submit a Form I-90 application to request a replacement Green Card. The Form I-90 is the same form you use to renew your Green Card.

Again, it is critical that you do not delay in requesting a new card because United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) requires some time to process your Form I-90 application.

Fortunately, USCIS allows you to request an Alien Documentation, Identification & Telecommunications stamp, also known as an ADIT stamp. The ADIT stamp serves as temporary proof of lawful permanent resident status while you await processing of your Form I-90 request for a new Green Card

Assistance requesting a new card

If you have lost your Green Card, it is critical that you speak with a knowledgeable immigration attorney as soon as possible.

An attorney can assist with completing and filing the necessary forms and documentation to get a new Green Card. An attorney can also advise you on any other immigration issues and help you navigate the often-complex immigration system.