Making The American Dream Attainable

Getting a J-1 visitor visa

On Behalf of | Jun 30, 2020 | Immigration |

Some foreign nationals may wish to travel to Florida on a J-1 visa. This type of employment visa is useful in a variety of different situations. It is a temporary visa meant for a number of different occupations and time periods, including a one-day academic lecturer, a summer camp counselor and a physician whose visa might be good for as long as seven years.

The regulations for the visa vary based on the type. For example, people who get the summer work and au pair visa must be high school or college students. Scholars, specialists and some other categories require the appropriate academic training. The application process involves finding a designated sponsor organization and getting accepted to an exchange visitor program through that organization. Visas are approved for the period of work plus 30 days on the beginning and end of that period.

In most categories, people are able to come back for a second work period, but in certain ones, such as teacher, trainee, professor and au pair, people are required to leave the country for 24 months in between. Exceptions are made in a few cases. For example, if the person will suffer exceptional hardship on returning or face persecution, this requirement could be waived. It might also be waived if a United States government agency or certain other entities request it.

The immigration process can be complex and fast-changing, whether an individual is applying for a J-1 visa or another type of work-based visa, for deferred action for young people, for immigration on the basis of a family relationship or for naturalization. An attorney may be able to help ensure that a person stays informed about any changes in the law and can also assist in preparing paperwork, meeting deadlines and making any necessary court appearances.